Wednesday, May 10, 2006

You will know them by their love

John 13:34,35

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -- Jesus

We all know that the New Testament is filled with references to love and testaments of Jesus' love for the people. Jesus says we will know his followers by their love. This morning I was reading some blogs where in the title it says "Christian" and that is how they define themselves, but in reality I have never "met" a group of people so completely devoid of love. They tell me things like "go knit a sweater" and call me a loser if I disagree with them.

I wouldn't even fully call myself a Christian. I am "undecided" or struggling, and unsure that I can accept some of the most basic creeds of Christianity. After 10 years as a solid Christian I have gone through the last few years wondering if I wasn't deceived all along. These people make me even more unsure-- you will know them by their love.

So if I feel more love talking to an agnostic who respects Jesus as a prophet than I do talking to a Christian who curses regularly and has "bigotry" and "arrogantly judgemental" written all over them.... which one is the disciple?

4 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Christians can be totally ghetto.

Are you talking about Vox Day's blog? If you are, ignore them. Most of them don't know the first thing about being a Christian. I met Morgan through there, but she's one of the few people I would actually consider to be demonstrators of Christ's love.

I've often said that if I wasn't a Christian, I probably would want to become one. Christians can be mean, hateful, and far more wretched than any other beings on the planet. It's quite amazing really, that the very people who are supposed to be examples of God's love are the ones who so often push people away from him.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Never mind me. Its just something I have been thinking about. I don't fully comprehend what I am talking about either... we'll see how it works out.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Shay said...

Sometimes I have felt like you, Janet, but I was lucky enough to find a great church family. I worried about going to a church because of how hateful many Christians are but they arn't.

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger Billy D said...

Don't (DO NOT!) use these folks as an example of Christianity.
You have to try and understand things from the perspective of a parent's love for their children, which is how God looks at us. Don't you think He weeps as hard for one of his children lost to "X" as He does for them lost to "Y"? Wouldn't you for your kids?
There is God's law, which everyone of us breaks pretty much every day. If we didn't we wouldn't have needed Jesus blood on that cross, now would we? He died for ALL of us. "Go and sin no more" was a big part of it too. You have to try, knowing you'll fail anyway, I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home